30 Aug 2024

Italy legally on 8m

It has come to my attention that Italian amateurs (for a limited time) have amateur access to 40.66-40.70MHz. 

This will be interesting when F2 propagation really kicks in. They are far enough south to catch some TEP and I expect they will have QSOs with the Caribbean.

What I do not know is do other administrations allow similar access? 

As I keep saying, just 5kHz, a low ERP, no SSB, narrow digital modes only, limited time, strictly no interference, by NoV or equivalent, would allow widespread free propagation research. Personally I cannot see the issue when 40.66-40.70 MHz is already allocated to ISM, licence free gadgets. 

Is the problem that people in many PTTs are ignorant and stupid? Or is it just the military trying to keep the spectrum as clear as they can "just in case". Also most PTTs see only hassle and no money.

Now and the coming months are the best times for 8m propagation research.

No comments: