8 Mar 2024

8m TX

At the moment my inclination is NOT to apply for a special permit to TX on 8m (costs £50 per year!) but to instead try 40.680MHz WSPR using ISM rules. 

In the UK, this means 10mW ERP and compliance with IR2030. Anyone, even an SWL, may do this without a licence. The callsign can be made up. I shall use one that WSPRnet can accept, so I can see where I am being spotted.

Having either worked or been spotted on 8m FT8 by most active stations, this will be a new challenge in the Es season. My antenna needs attention first. 

Judging by tests at similar ERP on 10m, much of Europe should be in range at times, assuming there are people monitoring!

It would be good if others tried this too.

1 comment:

Jan, OZ9QV said...

I started monitoring 40.680 a few weeks ago, using my 10m end-fed half wave vertical. I intend to continue that.

Vy 73 de Jan, OZ9QV