31 Mar 2024

8m dilemma

My TX permit runs out shortly, and I am undecided about a new one. 

From an experimental view point, I have already proved that 2.5W FT8 and a low dipole is enough to reach many parts of the planet when F2 is good. Just to experiment I have to pay £50 a year, which I find offensive and stupid. I blame OFCOM and the RSGB for this utter stupidity. There are many people who want to do genuine research at 8m!! Pay?? How daft when amateur radio is meant to be about self-training! 

My inclination is to operate on 40.680MHz WSPR under ISM regulations (10mW ERP and IR2030 compliance) which is totally free and open to all in the UK. This would be much harder, but radio science would benefit more. I suspect that much of Europe would be in range on the better days in the Es season. The main issue could be too few monitors. I suspect 10mW ERP 8m FT8 would be too low.

It would be good if others joined me by keeping to ISM rules (or similar) in your area of the world. In some countries I believe one can legally beacon below certain powers.  If enough people tried, the research would be more meaningful. Remember, operation under ISM rules is not amateur radio. Such use is essentially one way beaconing for propagation research.

It would be great to have a lot of QRPP 8m WSPR beacons operational.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Correct me if I'm wrong. You had a fund me page to pay for your initial 8m permit. Why do you think its offensive (and thats a very strong word to use by the way) and stupid to have to pay to carry out your experiments? You didn't pay for it. £50 is nothing to you but I guess some of your backers would find it difficult to contribute to - but they did. I find your lack of recognition for those that funded you quite difficult to appreciate (offensive even). 8m is your crusade, good luck with it but if you want to pursue it you need to swallow your pride and stop bleating about the cost, just get on with it and don't expect others to contribute to it.

Roger G3XBM said...

Indeed, my very first payment (as the RSGB and OFCOM want experimenters to pay for experiments at 8m) was crowd funded. But, this would be my 3rd payment of £50 to OFCOM and the last 2 have been entirely at my own expense!! I am always grateful for any contributions, but over the last few years these in no way cover my costs. Any contributions are entirely voluntary and not at all compulsory.

The words "stupid" and "offensive" were used as I believe the very purpose of our hobby is self training and research. In the past, an NoV would have simply been issued (much as was done years ago for my experiments below 10kHz). Instead I have to PAY to self-train and do real research at 8m.

BTW, I am in no way bleating or asking for funding. My 8m research, as you correctly say, is my "crusade". I just think it sad that both OFCOM and the RSGB appear so negative and blinkered over this.

You are fully entitled to your views, but why hide behind "anonymous"? Your name and callsign (if you have one) would be appreciated by readers.

73s
Roger G3XBM