19 Jan 2024

My future on 8m

This morning, I am getting no 8m FT8 spots whereas G9PUV and SV1DH have plenty. Their ERPs are probably at least 10dB up on mine as I run just 2.5W to a low dipole.

At the moment, my inclination is not to go for a new 8m permit in April.  

Possibly I may try 8m WSPR in the ISM band with the call 8M3ISM with 10mW ERP without a licence, as is the right of all in the UK.

The results obtained so far are impressive, but without more stations, I am unsure of the usefulness of continuing. 

As the 8m band is located between 10m and 6m, we could expect 8m to open more often than 6m. It is highly disappointing that OFCOM (and the RSGB) and the FCC has shown such a negative attitude to even a small 8m secondary allocation. It is not as if they are neutral. It would appear they are dead set against!

If beggars believe that both the FCC and OFCOM (and the RSGB) can have such a negative attitude to the real purpose of our hobby. I am left with a bitter taste.


No comments: