24 Oct 2023

160m QRP FT8 overnight

Stations spotting my 2.5W to the
earth-electrode "antenna" in the
ground on 160m FT8 overnigh
t
My FT817ND and the earth-electrode "antenna" were left on overnight on FT8. I am amazed how well it works!  Amazing that this antenna is invisible. Even my XYL does not know it is there! My noise level in SSB bandwidths is about S8 here.

In all, I was spotted by 55 stations as the maps shows. 73 stations were spotted on RX. The furthermost on TX was OH6BG (1716km). 

My theory is this works as a loop in the ground, so that the efficiency should decrease as the skin depth goes down, so I would expect it to be poorer on 160m than 630m. Also, I was using FT8 which is some 10dB poorer than WSPR. Overall, very pleasing. 

This begs the question - what is it like on 80m FT8? If the match is OK, I shall probably try this tonight!

This is experimentation I can still do! At some point I must try my 2200m (136 kHz) beacon on QRSS. I think it can do QRSS. It is over 10 years since I last used QRSS.

2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Will try to rx you on 80m this evening. We might even try to make a contact. I got a pretty good and sensitive system on 80m. 73, Bas PE4BAS

Roger G3XBM said...

Hi Bas -Thank you for the 80m FT8 QSO this evening. 73s Roger G3XBM