3 Aug 2023

Hidden disabilities (yet again) - NOT amateur radio

Sorry to post about this yet again, but it is a matter close to my heart. 

A good proportion of disabled people have "hidden" disabilities. At first sight, many would say "they are faking it" and there is nothing wrong. They look perfectly normal.

Speaking from personal experience. I get exhausted very easily and my voice is very poor. In shops, and even to my own wife, I have to repeat myself several times to be understood. When others around me are chatting, I want to join in, but know I shall have to repeat myself, so I remain silent. Life is very frustrating at times. Compared with many, I am lucky. Others have it far worse than me.

All I am advocating is do not judge others. They may have a hidden disability either physical or mental. Also, it is very easy to patronise. Whatever our state is, we want to do what we can. There is nothing worse than being treated as an idiot when not. Many with hidden disabilities have very high IQs.

No comments: