10 Jun 2023

Yaesu curtains?

For several years I have been worried about Yaesu. At the Dayton Hamvention 2023, I was hoping they would announce a new SDR QRP radio to replace the FT817/818. They have the technology.  Sadly, nothing HF was announced just, yet another, VHF/UHF mobile.

Since the early 1970s, I have been a real Yaesu fan. Many Yaesu radios have been bought over the years. At the present time I have 4 Yaesu rigs.  In my view, they have blown their last chance.

In my view Yaesu will quit the amateur radio market in the next few years. I hope I am wrong.

5 comments:

G1KQH said...

I am going to buy you a harp..

Twang!


73's Steve

Anonymous said...

I sincerely hope I am wrong, but they seem rudderless.

Anonymous said...

With the way "radio hams" and I use that term loosy spend most of there time on these beacon modes I wouldn't waste time in Research & Development either if I was Yaesu. Radio's in the past had many man hours spent working how to improve audio quailty and functionally etc.

When a few chips and a basic circuit can be made to do these "in my opinion" pointless modes like FT8 why would Yaesu spend the effort, cause there are some many manfactures building these cheap QRP radio that do it.

When Yaesu done the FT-4X handheld to compete with the Baofengs UV-5R everyone moaned it was an expensive version of the Chinese.

Thought this was a communication and social hobby but seems to be a "where can my beacon be heard hobby"




Roger G3XBM said...

Whatever your views, and everyone is different and entitled to theirs, our hobby is going through a profound change. Speaking from what I know in the UK, and I accept it may be different elsewhere, ours is a hobby that is mainly one of old males. As this cohort ages, I cannot see many of the major Japanese manufacturers making much profit from the amateur radio market unless we attract and keep far younger people. I can see the day when the likes of OFCOM,FCC and others decide that amateur radio is just not worth it. It generates no income and the admin is not worth the fuss. Instead, amateur radio as we have known it will change. G3XBM

Roger G3XBM said...

If I include the original FT817 I have 5 (not 4) Yaesu rigs. In my view, Yaesu has made some great radios.