12 Feb 2023

Yaesu FT-710AESS first impressions

Yesterday, I fired up my Yaesu FT-710AESS for the first time. It is very highly rated on the Sherwood tests coming 4th. 

As a dedicated QRPer, it will be used mostly on its lowest power (5W), although I may run 10W PEP on SSB. It is capable of 100W on the HF bands. It does not cover 2m and 70cm, but does include 4m.  

Everything (I think) seems OK, although the AESS appears not to work, merely switching to the external loudspeaker irrespective of the degree of balance. 

The fan (which used to be on all the time in first versions) appears not to be on. I am not sure if this was changed to come on only when the rig is hot. I want to do a full reset, but want to talk with MLS first in case this loses me 5 MHz and 70 MHz bands.

I am hoping the AESS issue is "finger trouble", although I did everything as stated in the manual (I thought). If the reset does not fix the issue and I cannot find something simple that I am doing wrong, it will have to go back to MLS under warranty. Otherwise it is a good buy.

UPDATE 1546z:  I tried making sure the external LS was connected before turning the rig on, but sadly this did not change things. I have asked MLS about a reset and the fan. I hope the rig does not have to be returned under guarantee as otherwise it is a fine radio.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,

You kept this purchase quiet! Didn't think you were considering a new radio as you have the ICOM IC-705.

Did you trade the IC-705 for the Yaesu?

Jason
M0NYW

Anonymous said...

Traded in IC-705.

Anonymous said...

He must have a lot of confidence now that Yaesu isn't going bust anytime soon! I wonder if he got some cash back too? :-)


73's...


Roger G3XBM said...

Cashback does not apply for this radio sadly. Still very good value.