3 Sept 2022

That 4m transverter

Jason (in a comment on an earlier post) may well be correct. I was puzzled why the FT817ND was flagging "HI SWR" when I went to TX on the 4m transverter. 

Somewhere way back in the mists of time I did do a mod to my original FT817 to add 5V to the RF line from the rig. Of course, this is not there on the FT817ND, so the relay will not switch over to TX.

At some point before the next Es season, I must do this mod on the FT817ND. I cannot recall what I did, so I shall have to photograph and copy exactly the original mod.  

As it stands, I can monitor on 4m, but not TX.

I guess an RF detector could be added to the transverter to switch on the 5V TX. This would avoid the need to doctor the FT817ND inside.

UPDATE 0830z:  Anyone know if the 5V TX is present on the RF connector of the unmodified IC-705? If so, I could just use the IC-705 with the 4m transverter instead! Guess I should just try it. 

UPDATE 0838z:  Tried it with the IC-705 Still high SWR, so guess +5v not there either. Pity.

UPDATE 0852z: Just found this from when the transverter was first designed and made, " I also did the FT817 DC switching mod to put 5V DC on the antenna pins when on TX. It was easy to do, with care, and made the transverter switching so much easier. Don't understand why it was not there as standard for the sake of 1 capacitor and 1 resistor."

UPDATE 1714z: If the mod is within my capability, I shall do the 5V TX mod. I must note that I should use the front BNC for 4m.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,

Here’s the link from you old site to details of the mod for 817. Maybe try and external box version instead of doing the mod.https://bergtag.de/download/ft817.pdf

73
Jason