3 Jun 2022

ICOM IC-705

For about a year now, I have owned an IC-705. As I only ever run QRP, this was a good choice for me as it is multi-band and 10W. It is mostly used on VHF and UHF FM nets and SSB. Until recently I had not used it for FT8 as it picked up lots of noise from the PC when the USB cable was connected. I continued to use my FT817ND and SignaLink interface for FT8.

I was recommended a screened, choked, cable by Jason M0NYW, and this seems to have done the trick. I am being spotted from across the world on 10m FT8 using the IC-705 at 5W and on RX I am spotting plenty. Thank you Jason for the good suggestion. My FT817ND is now almost exclusively used for 8m FT8 TX now.

The IC-705 is still far too expensive. As I rarely buy gear, I looked at it as an investment. The only thing that disappoints is the lack of 4m, which all were expecting.

See https://sites.google.com/view/g3xbm4/home/hf-mf-and-lf/commercial-rigs/icom-ic-705 .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,

Glad the lead work for you too and you can use the IC-705 to its full potential on all bands now.

I've owned mine for over a year now, 6 months of noise issue was causing such a problem and I considered selling it and upgrading to the IC9700 as I have IC7300 but glad I didnt now.

Wish ICOM provided a decent USB lead in the first place!

73
Jason
M0NYW