31 May 2022

Heathkits

When I was young (OK a long time ago!) Heathkits were popular. They sold some very good kits that made some classy pieces of equipment including VHF and HF transceivers.

In recent years, they tried to make a comeback, but their range was poor and overpriced.  Their website still exists,  although goodness knows how! They must have some very dedicated followers.   With low cost kits from China, making kits for radio amateurs must be very hard these days unless the kits are good and the price is very competitive.

As mentioned yesterday, I coveted the valved HW30 2m AM transceiver. I realised that my website did not have a page on this, so I have added one.

See https://sites.google.com/view/g3xbm4/home/vhfuhfmicrowaves/vhfuhf-commercial-rigs/hw30 .

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathkit for the whole Heathkit story.

My whole professional career and hobby of 60 years owes a lot to Heathkit since my dad bought me a Heathkit Electronics Workhop for Christmas 1961.



No comments: