12 Apr 2022

Tenbox

Many years ago, before my stroke, I intended to build a simple 10m phone transceiver aimed at local contacts only. What I had in mind was a 10m version of my 6m Sixbox and 2m Fredbox. 

It used a super-regen RX with isolating pre-amp to avoid radiation, so would not be suitable for DX work. Having said that, it had no problems receiving USA AM stations in the car with just a base loaded whip. 

My idea was to build a rig that could be used when 10m is dead, such as at night or in poor solar years. 10m is a great band and very little used when not "open". 

It is ideal for local contacts as antennas are small especially when compared with 160m. CB antennas work well. 

In my mind was something like the old Heathkit Benton Harbour Lunchboxes (remember those?), but far smaller and on a single simple PCB.

Sadly my stroke got in the way and the project was not completed.  It would be great if someone else completed this project. There may well be better solutions these days.

See https://sites.google.com/view/g3xbm4/home/hf-mf-and-lf/homebrew/10m-am-tenbox .

No comments: