14 Mar 2022

WSJT-X on a Chromebook?

My shack PC runs Windows 10.  Currently it is almost exclusively used for WSJT-X.

My main PC in the lounge is an Asus Chromebook that I have used for about 2.5 years. It has been excellent: fast, the battery lasts for hours and it does nearly everything I want. It is also far less expensive than a Windows machine. My wife was also impressed and bought one. I would never go back to Windows. At first I was uncertain I had made the correct choice: I had.

At some point I may want to upgrade the Chromebook. If I do this, this current Chromebook might end up in the shack. Although the Chromebook will run Linux apps, I have never bothered.

Does anyone know how to install WSJT-X on a Chromebook please?

I am definitely NOT a computer nerd, so would need very simple instructions!

3 comments:

G1KQH said...

It will run under Linux..

I think there are videos on Youtube running Linux on the Chrome book..

73's Steve

Roger G3XBM said...

Apparently the Linux used (if enabled) in the Chromebook is Debian, which is quite limited. I believe sound to external devices can be a problem as can syncing to Internet time.

Ken May said...

Hi Roger, what you could do is run wsjt-x on a raspberrypi controlling your rig, the use VNC to control the raspberry pi from your chromebook. I do this successfully from an apple ipad.

best 73 Ken