10 Feb 2022

Eat less meat - NOT amateur radio

Yesterday I listened, via Zoom, to a most interesting lecture by an economics professor on how to take account of climate change in accounting. This was part of my University of the Third Age in Cambridge (U3AC)  lectures.

One of the "take away" remarks was that he thought we would be able to feed the world as long as we eat less meat. In my view, we will be persuaded by adverts to enjoy alternatives, if only on certain days each week. Beef and lamb need huge amounts of land and water. If we don't change, we will all die! 

As a carnivore who enjoys steaks I shall not find this totally easy. Eating less lamb and beef and more pork and chicken are good starters.  Personally, I could be a vegetarian despite enjoying my steaks, certainly on some days a week.

My 10 year old granddaughter has been vegan for over a year and some of her food has been really tasty.

3 comments:

G1KQH said...

There are going to be a lot of folk going around with vitamin deficiencies and lack of iron, if they are pushed or brainwashed down the road of don't eat meat.

I know one such case this person adopted, I am not eating red meat. 5 years after so, he was down the Doctors with lack of iron and other problems.. The Doctor told him to go and have plenty of good steaks and liver and onions :-)

True story!

73's Steve

Anonymous said...

UK carbon footprint since 1750 (start of inducsrial revolution) is claimed as being
between 1% and 3% of the GLOBAL total.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_gas_emissions_by_the_United_Kingdom
https://eciu.net/insights/2021/why-the-uks-1-of-global-emissions-is-a-big-deal

Another UK govt website that I cannot find at this time put it at 1.2% since
the year 1750 !

So why the hell are we beeing brainwashed into a disproportionate reduction of targets
that create so much cost and red tape to the ordinary man ?

Now gimme my steaks ;-)

Roger G3XBM said...

The evidence is that unless we all eat less meat we will ALL die. The human race could go extinct!! A few days without red meat will do us all good.