16 Jan 2022

Big brother is watching - NOT amateur radio

They must all work on algorithms, but it always seems creepy when all the emails I get from Amazon recommending new things always relate to past purchases: for example I bought an Airfix kit for a grandson, so I get recommended another. We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary last year, so we get further 50th wedding anniversary stuff!

I don't mind, but I have never bought from these recommendations. My usual course is to delete these.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait until you simply talk about something obscure in voice reach of an Alexa device(phone or speaker) and then start seeing these solicitations. I've seen it first hand, and know of it happening to others as well.

Roger G3XBM said...

We turn off Alexa when not needed so it can't spy on us! I have a friend who was discussing investments casually when Alexa suggested investing in xxx. Scary!!