5 Jan 2022

8m NoV - nothing heard!!

It is now about 3 months since I applied for a low power, 8m permit to TX during the Es season. So far, I have heard absolutely nothing! Am I surprised? No. You would have thought by now, they would have said "no" or "yes" or asked a few questions.

OFCOM obviously has a hard job allocating me a low power, time limited, permit to carry out valuable research, when they can allocate 2MHz of "precious" VHF spectrum, seemingly indefinitely, for DATV experiments! My opinion of OFCOM remains low. Unless it is going to make them billions, they are not really interested.

Come on boys and girls - playtime over.

3 comments:

G1KQH said...

What do expect they don't make a penny out of us Radio Hams, only get hassle!

Now a BIG commercial operator they could make Thousands!!

73's Steve

Keith said...

Putting on my cynic’s hat for a moment - the work on DATV on 2m and 4m could have commercial applications in the future, which equals £££’s - whereas experimental transmissions on 8m have no commercial relevance and therefore figure quite low on Ofcom’s priority list.

Ken May said...

I used to have to apply for a special short term technical development licence for VHF airband emergency radios (commercially) and this was no end of hassle. Ofcom basically wrote to every man and his dog (Airforce, Airlines, etc) asking them if what I wanted to do was a problem. In every case, they did not have the time to consider my request, it was easier for them to give a blanket 'no' without any explanation.
Like you say, there was no monetary advantage to them, so it just took months and invariably severely time limited my activities.
73 Ken G4APB