18 Oct 2021

Yaesu FT818

This was introduced some years ago, mainly to address component obsolescence with the FT817.  I have owned 2 FT817s over many years and these were good, solid QRP transceivers. In my case they have been used from 136kHz to 432MHz, in some cases with homebrew transverters. I have never, ever regretted having them.

When the FT818 came out I was extremely disappointed. It seemed that Yaesu had lost its way and ignored the huge worldwide market for a better, modern, product. They could have used the same mechanics and just changed the battery and guts. Instead, they introduced basically the very same product. Such a wasted chance.

In my view, they have one last chance. We are on the way up to the next solar peak and the world is expecting a replacement for a product that is about 20 years old.

Yaesu is well capable of designing a worthy successor to the FT817, so get on with it!

Yaesu  -  wake up!!!

No comments: