27 Apr 2021

Amplitude Modulation

Although I have not used AM recently, partly as a result of my poor voice, I can see the attraction of the mode. It lends itself to home brewing and in the past I have designed and made several AM rigs. At one time they were practically giving away ex PMR AM rigs.  

The Fredbox and Sixbox are examples of AM rigs I have designed and made in the past.

Southgate News has announced the formation of an AM Amateur Radio Society.

See http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/april/announcing-the-formation-of-the-amplitude-modulation-amateur-radio-society.htm#.YIgZpGjYrrd .

My thanks to Steve G1KQH for pointing this out.

1 comment:

Ken May said...

Many years ago as an experiment I modified my 160m valve Tx to use a form of screen grid modulation that gave a carrier level dependant on the modulation level so it was always 100% modulated, so it looked to others like an SSB signal but no BFO needed to resolve it. When I tried it on air it was met with derision as there was no carrier when I stopped talking. I was told it was probably illegal as no-one had seen it before,so I never used it again.
Just recently I saw the same technique described as DSB AM! (in a more modern circuit).
Saves a lot on battery power!

73 Ken G4APB