7 Oct 2020

UK Airwave switch-off

Southgate News has a piece about the closure of the Airwave system, used by police and ambulance services with TETRA radios in the UK. It is reported that this will stay operational until at least 2024 because of delays to the system due to replace it. 

When I worked for Sepura (I retired in 2008) the UK police TETRA radios were an important part of our business. I am not sure what system they plan to use going forwards. I have completely lost touch in the last 5 years.

See http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2020/october/airwave-closure.htm#.X314akjYq00


1 comment:

Keith said...

The plan is (was?) to use the EE mobile network which would be extended to give better coverage in rural areas. The system will also prioritise emergency services calls in the event of user overload - say, in the event of a national emergency. There will still be a push-to-talk feature and also I believe a group call feature. Basically the ESN network would be piggy-backed onto the commercial network.

This is what was being proposed when I was still working in the RF/microwave field before retiring in 2016.

Regards,
Keith G0RQQ