23 Oct 2020

Mending that 472kHz transverter


At the moment, I think the IRF510 PA in my transverter has been damaged. Before I change this, which is no easy task for me these days, I shall connect everything up and check it  is not something else! It would be daft to change the PA only to find the problem is still there! 

Assuming it is the PA, that is a job for later today. I have taken a photo so that I know what was there and don't forget to connect something. Years ago this would have been trivial for me.

See https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/mflf/472khz_tvtr

UPDATE 1021z:   PA changed and still no antenna current! Oscillator running OK, so something else must be wrong. Further investigation needed when I am less exhausted. I guess the first thing to try is running the transverter into a dummy load to check there is output on 472kHz. Another thing I can try is using the FT817ND with the earth-electrode "antenna" in the ground on 160m. This measured some antenna current on the antenna current meter. If this is zero, it gives me some clues. It was so much easier when my brain was not foggy and I had a clear head. The best way I can describe it is like trying to fault-find after drinking 8 pints of beer.

UPDATE 1130z:  No antenna current on 160m suggesting something else is amiss.

No comments: