1 Jun 2020

DX is relative

As an old timer of advancing years now, some may well disagree with my "grumpy old man" statements. Tough, I shall say it anyway!

Today, I want to say that DX is relative. Some must run the full legal power (or more), have a big tower and a big beam and rotator to work that last DXCC entity that half the world is shouting at. He or she probably thinks little of spending many thousands on the "hobby". To me, this is plain ego stroking.

For me, DX is what comes my way. Usually I run QRP and with this I obtained DXCC mostly on 10m SSB long ago. If I get QSOs with distant stations, fine.  To me, working these stations means as much (or more) than those who choose to spend big on the "hobby".

I often tell newcomers that you can have much fun spending very little as the "grown-ups" who want to splash the cash. Rigs like the uBITX can be quite inexpensive, but are capable of working the world with modest, low, wire antennas.  Of course, if you build your own rigs you can get on the air for even less. One USA company is selling very low cost DSB FT8 transceiver kits that cost less than a single meal out (remember those?).

See https://qrpguys.com/

No comments: