13 Mar 2020

Amazon and amateur radio

Amazon is a bit like the UK yeast spread Marmite: you either love it or hate it!

My wife and I really try to support local, village businesses. As our son tells us, without our trade they will just go. The local butcher does amazing bacon and the local bakers great soft rolls and pasties.

I digress. What I was going to say was that Amazon does a great range of amateur radio products and books. With Amazon Prime you can order these for next day delivery.

Our shopping habits are changing and many choose to order from the armchair and get them delivered to the door the next day. OK, we cannot browse as we can in a real shop, but returns are easy and painless.

I was saddened by our local chemist: last year my wife just wanted some nail scissors. Nothing fancy, just simple nail scissors. She was told they had no stock and were not getting any! She went on Amazon, ordered them and they were delivered promptly, for less money! If local businesses are to survive they have to stock common items at sensible prices. Many people will pay a little more to shop locally.

See https://www.amazon.co.uk/

1 comment:

DaveL said...

Roger,
My wife and I feel the same way. However, one by one, local shops are closing down. We had one of the three AES stores in the country, and they went under last year. Finding simple things that most hardware stores used to commonly stock is getting harder and harder, as is driving all over town to find a thing that they all should stock and no one does. Amazon gets and increasing amount of my business, even though I would rather shop locally. The big chain stores don't care about my business, but what they don't realize is that they need me more than I need them. Sad sign of the times.

73,
Dave
KF7JAF