24 Mar 2020

2m FT8 vertical

This morning, as an experiment, I am on 2m FT8 with the vertical antenna. ERP is about the same on both omnis. At first glance, it is making little difference with plenty of spots at great range on the vertical antenna. 14 spots of my 10W already!

Stations spotting my 10W FT8 today 
(to 1230z) with the vertical on 2m
UPDATE 1252z:  Already several QSOs and 32 spots in 6 countries of my 10W FT8 to the vertical antenna with the best spot being by EI3KD (583km). Remember this is 10W to a vertical "white stick" fed with cheap CB coax on 2m. Both GI and EI have been reached (again) today with 10W and the V2000 vertical. Really,  polarisation seems to make absolutely no difference! I am being spotted by as many stations on vertical as horizontal omnis.

UPDATE 1319z: Switched to horizontal polarisation to see if Tim Kirby GW4VXE in west Wales and I can work each other. He has a small horizontal beam.

UPDATE 2110z: Today I was spotted by 61 stations in 6 countries, mostly with the vertical omni antenna. Who said 2m is dead? I am only using 10W!

No comments: