10 Oct 2019

The Yaesu FT7 HF transceiver

This was the first HF rig I bought, back in 1979. It was 10W on all the then HF bands. With it I worked all over the world on 10m QRP SSB using simple antennas (CB half wave vertical or wire dipoles). It was a very good radio.

It was never used mobile. These days more bands are possible in about a fifth of the size. It was sold to a friend in Cambridge many years ago.

It had a very quiet (non-synthesised) VFO. As I recall it only covered parts of 10m. The later FT7B had more power and full 10m coverage. This is the best rig I have ever owned.

See https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/hf/ft7 .

1 comment:

Jon_G4FUT said...

I just sold my own FT7 about 6 weeks ago, due to downsizing my shack. It was pristine. BTW its output was variable from 3 watts tp 20 watts, by adjusting the ALC on the back. A bomb-proof rig, with a superlative RX for the time, and which can hold its won against many modern rigs.