16 Aug 2019

DST100

We all have a tale to tell about how we started. Although I had been interested for several years, my interest was really started when my dad bought me a DST100 receiver from a local garage for £7. It was huge and needed 2 people to lift it. It was "attended to" by local amateur Roger Thorn G3CHN (SK) and this served me well for several years. I think it was designed for use in tanks in WW2.

In the 1950s and 1960s there was a lot of war surplus gear around and many of us used these as a start in amateur radio. Common receivers were the AR88, CR100 and HROs. These days new amateurs often buy a Japanese SSB transceiver.

See https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/hf/dst100

1 comment:

G1KQH said...

G3LEK (SK) introduced me to the hobby around 1972 with an ex WD receiver jacked up with a block of wood underneath it in his cold garage. I was gripped.




73 Steve