26 Jun 2019

Could we lose 2m?

France has proposed the re-allocation of the 144-146MHz band to aeronautical mobile.

In the distant past I seem to recall having to avoid certain spot frequencies in the EU 2m band, presumably as this band must have, at one time, been shared with aeronautical mobile services. If my memory is correct, this was a long time ago, possibly in the 1960s.

I suspect this would be discussed at WRC-2023 and implementation, if approved, could take a few years. In the end, I can see this becoming a shared band perhaps. With the low band occupancy, I cannot imagine much risk of interference. I guess they could make the higher band exclusive (145-146MHz) and the lower part shared (144-145MHz).

See http://www.arrl.org/news/no-strong-opposition-to-144-146-mhz-reallocation-proposal-at-cept-meeting

2 comments:

Keith said...

I believe the system proposed would have an operational radius of about 1000kms around each aircraft, so the possibility of interference could be quite high.
My thought would be to surrender 144 - 145MHz in exchange for exclusivity of 145 - 146MHz. Then reallocate weak-signal modes to some of the spectrum currently underused by FM simplex. That would also preserve the space allocation for satellite uplinks/downlinks and ISS activities (assuming that by 2023 such activities still take place).

Regards,
Keith G0RQQ

Roger G3XBM said...

Yes Keith I am sure this would be fine.