25 Mar 2019

160m FT8 RX

Yet again, 160m FT8 was good. As reported yesterday a VK4 was spotted that I believe was genuine. 15 North Americans, 1 Caribbean and 1 South American were spotted overnight with a total of 449 stations.

At 160m, I think the earth-electrode "antenna" acts as a loop antenna in the ground, although the propagation is by normal means. At higher frequencies the loop get progressively less effective. At 160m I am surprised how well it works. It exceeds expectations.
Overnight on 160m FT8 RX

1 comment:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Stll I don't understand why you didn't receive Japan on 160m. But of course it can be that that direction is a "dead" angle for your antenna. A few days ago I listened on 160m for Japan again and decoded 2 stations at about -18dB. VK4 is a good catch! 73, Bas