11 Feb 2019

Earth-electrode "antenna" in the ground details

Several people have asked for more details of the "antenna" I use on 137kHz, 472kHz and 1.84MHz.

The far end is a ground rod (copper I think) about 1m long. The wire back to the shack is about 12m long and runs along the garden fence (about 1.5m off the ground). At the near (shack end) it connects to the mains ground.

At the old QTH I tried a separate ground just outside the shack and running the "return" wire along the ground. Results were much the same. At 137kHz, 472kHz and 1.84MHz I am pretty sure this structure acts as a loop in the ground.


On VLF earth mode, I suspect the "antenna" is not acting as a loop.

                               --- Sketch and photos to be added on a later post, probably Feb 15th? ---

2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

A drawing or photos would help. You didn't describe the transformer. The way you describe it sounds easy but in reality we don't understand. The antenna performs very well at your QTH, actually it almost looks like it is a miracle antenna. 73, Bas

Roger G3XBM said...

Thanks Bas. I shall add a sketch later.