29 Jan 2019

Electric cars - NOT amateur radio

Let me start by saying I want to buy an electric car, however I think the technology is not quite there yet.

As with flat screen TVs and digital cameras, I am sure there will be a tipping point when most people will opt for electric and forget cars powered by fossil fuels. Personally, I think this will happen when realistic ranges exceed 300 miles and the price drops. At the moment, you have to be an early adopter or do mainly local driving. I guess if fast charging was very common and plentiful that would help. Although most of my journeys are short, the range today would require me to recharge once even to travel to north Norfolk and home again. This is just too stressful.

No, my view is this is a "not yet" technology. Maybe in 5-10 years?

No comments: