16 Nov 2018

Spotting pirates

This is an age-old issue. In my youth, even I was guilty, running an illegal MW TX! Mind you, with a range of maybe 20m, I doubt I caused any QRM.

On FT8, a useful trick is to see where the station is being spotted. If there are few spots close to the station's location, be suspicious. If the station is being spotted locally and across the world, it is more likely to be genuine. I know this is not a 100% sure-fire check, but if you have doubts it is worth checking.

3 comments:

G1KQH said...

Mr L! A pirate of the airwaves. He who hates CBers, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I don't care what route we took or take to get into the hobby, the main thing is we did it and learn on the way.

73 Steve

Roger G3XBM said...

Steve, as far as I remember I have said nothing against CBers. How people come in to this hobby matters not to me. As I said earlier, I used CB in the early, legal, days. Not as much fun as amateur radio!

G1KQH said...

Maybe I was wrong?


But you gotta admit it's a hobby of fun as we play with our toys.

73 Steve