1 Oct 2018

IC7300 fan questions (again)

Basically, these questions were asked a few weeks ago, but I did not get a decent reply. If you know the answer(s) please post them here or send me an email.

My basic questions are about the IC7300 fan noise. As a confirmed QRPer it is very unlikely high power would be used. Mostly 10W or less would be used if I bought one. It is by no means certain I shall buy one.

My questions are these:
  1. Is the IC7300 fan noisy? 
  2. If operating at well below maximum power does the fan run quieter?
  3. Does the fan only operate when the rig gets hot?
  4. Does the fan only operate on TX?
On the IC706, which I briefly owned, the fan was very annoying. I have seen mods to change the IC7300 fan to a quieter one, but I would be reluctant to do this on a radio still under guarantee. Running at way below maximum power, I may be unnecessarily worried.

If you can help, please let me know.

4 comments:

David (G0LRD) said...

Roger,
I think you missed the point I tried to make last time. Given your desire to operate QRP, why would you want a rig that will dissipate at least 50W even when set to 5W? The finals have standing current optimised for 100W output irrespective of the power setting.
David G0LRD

Roger G3XBM said...

David- I well understand your point and would prefer to buy a QRP version if available here. Sadly the low power version is not CE approved and is not available in the UK. No doubt if I bought an IC7300 ICOM would announce a QRP version the very next day!

Mike said...

Roger,

My questions are these:

1.Is the IC7300 fan noisy? Not to my ears.

2.If operating at well below maximum power does the fan run quieter? Yes, but fan always comes on when TX.

3.Does the fan only operate when the rig gets hot? No but will increases speed when hot.

4.Does the fan only operate on TX? Yes so long as not reached high temp. on TX. i.e. long overs at 100 watts.

Hope this helps. I have seen secondhand from about £850

Mike G8ALS

Roger G3XBM said...

Thanks Mike. Yes, very helpful!

73s
Roger G3XBM