3 Oct 2018

2m FT8

When in the home, but out of the shack, I tend to go on 2m FT8 often. This is true at the moment. So far today, 8 stations spotted in 4 countries. Not sure if these are aircraft reflections or tropo. Judging by the strengths, I suspect some were tropo and some were off aircraft.

Later this afternoon I shall probably switch to 10m FT8 to see if South Americans are, yet again, spotted.

A few CQ calls were not spotted at all, which is quite unusual. Perhaps there are less people monitoring 2m FT8?

UPDATE 1126z: A CQ on 2m FT8 (2.5W) was spotted again by no-one. On 2m FT8 RX 18 stations in 5 countries spotted so far.

UPDATE 1316z: Mystery solved!! After several CQ calls on 2m FT8, I was wondering why no-one was spotting me. I went into the shack, called CQ and monitored the power - nothing! In the end I discovered the FT817ND was set to USB and not DIG so it was looking for audio via the mic rather than data lead. After changing the setting both modulation and power appeared and 3 spots immediately followed. Doh! Best DX on 2m FT8 TX (2.5W to the omni antenna) is G4RRA (334km) in Devon.

UPDATE 1330z: Best DX on 2m FT8 RX is DJ6AG (689km) in Lower Saxony, Germany. So far today, 22 stations in 6 countries on 2m FT8 RX.

No comments: