10 Sept 2018

472kHz WSPR TX tonight?

If I can work out how to get split mode on my FT817ND, I may try 472kHz WSPR TX (and RX) for the first time this autumn later this evening and overnight. I shall have to read the manual!

The TX packed up on my very old FT817 earlier in the year (it was 17 years old!) and I assume this is why I was not seeing any 472kHz TX power on MF late in the last spring.

My 472kHz transverter is shown at https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/mflf/472khz_tvtr. This was published in the book "LF Today" and in QST a few years ago.

UPDATE 1719z: Well, I managed to get the FT817ND working in split mode! 4 reports in first transmission using the earth electrode "antenna" in the ground. Best DX so far is a spot by G0NNF (154km). ERP is about 10mW.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roger
Nice to see you back on MF!! When you stick up the Active Antenna get it as far away from houses as possible- will make a big difference. You might find that some houses are noisier than others so worth doing some trials. A common mode choke at your house end can make a very big difference, WSPR is an excellent diagnostic tool to help find a good spot.


Best 73

Alan
G8LCO

Roger G3XBM said...

Thanks Alan (for the MF spots and suggestions re mini-whip).

Keith said...

Interesting results from the earth probe antenna! I’m thinking of trying that myself as I live in a “no antennas” building - but with earth probes, who’s going to know? Mind you, I have a 40m 1/2-Wave end-fed cunningly disguised as a washing line although only about 1.5m above ground on which I’ve received 12 countries on 472kHz WSPR so far. Can’t wait for the next MF/LF season to start!

Regards,
Keith G0RQQ

Roger G3XBM said...

Keith - try things and see!