2 Aug 2018

Excellent Moonraker service

Well, I succumbed and decided to buy an Inrico T320 network radio from Moonraker. The first unit had faulty software loaded. Without quibble, Moonraker despatched a replacement unit and collected the first unit. I cannot fault their customer care and I am very inclined to use them again. Well done!

Some are very sniffy about network radios saying this is not real amateur radio.  They use the internet (via wifi, 3G or 4G to connect with Echolink or similar services). Basically they are Android phones with a PTT in the style of a 2m or 70cm handheld. The beauty is they have full Android functionality as well (like BBC News, GPS, camera and email). This is not the same as traditional amateur radio, but I have already had great fun with mine. My first QSO was via GB3SD near Weymouth, Dorset.

I still prefer "traditional" amateur radio, but these have a definite place. One thing is very apparent: repeaters the world over have fewer stations using them. I am still exploring.

No comments: