10 Aug 2018

Broadcasting on shortwave

Like many in my generation, I came to amateur radio via shortwave broadcasters. As a young teenager I enjoyed getting QSL cards from broadcast stations around the world. In those days there were a great many broadcasters and many of these were in English. Not so today! Many broadcasters have left shortwave and opted instead for internet streaming as this is clearer and easier. It is probably cheaper too as big transmitters and antennas don't need to be maintained. 

Many of the shortwave stations transmitted propaganda, not that most of us cared. Certainly all many of us wanted was that QSL card. If they were proud of their tractor factory output, we could not have cared less!

I hear today via Southgate News that All India Radio may close its external shortwave service. Years ago this was one of the stations I heard direct from India on a crystal set here in the UK. Times are changing.

If you want to take a nostalgic listen to those interval signals, you can. I know this has appeared on this blog before, but it is fun!

See https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/hf/interval

No comments: