28 Jun 2018

X80 vertical antenna

In the garage I have an SRC X80 multi-band HF vertical. I used this briefly (before my stroke) at the old QTH. It blows around in the wind, but worked quite well as I remember. With my LDG QRP ATU it might serve me well next winter on WSPR on several HF bands.

Verticals tend to be noisier than horizontal antennas. This is a Rybakov antenna fed via a transformer so they can be matched with an ATU more easily. If erected it would replace my horizontal antenna that only covers 3 HF bands.

This is now on my main website at www.g3xbm.co.uk . This was a "cut and paste" job ànd needs attention on the other PC in the morning as I see some words are not visible.

See reviews at https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/8727?page=1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Horizontal antenna is good for inter G on lower bands but I suppose you can replace that with a loft mounted loop or eaves / gutter mounted loaded dipoles. Possibly better that the vertical antenna you have whips about in the wind rather succumbing to the wind and breaking. Surely it must cause minor fluctuations due to variations in polarisation angle during windy conditions but probably not such an issue for low speed data communication.