26 Apr 2018

Yaesu - in trouble?

For many years (well as you ask since 1979 - nearly 40 years!) I have been a great Yaesu fan and I have been the delighted owner of many of their fine transceivers in that time. Now I am very worried.
  • Firstly they "missed the boat" by not replacing the FT817 before the last sunspot peak. In my book this was an unforgivable error. The market was ready, yet they were stupid not to see and capitalise on this.
  • Secondly they had to play catch-up when ICOM introduced the IC7300. The FT991A is clearly an attempt to match the IC7300. They were caught off guard, followers rather than leaders. No doubt some poor innocent was made to fall on his/her sword.
  • Thirdly, the FT891 looks market priced to catch buyers. It is relatively low cost for a 100W mobile/base unit.
  • Fourthly, the FT818 is definitely a development done on the (very) cheap with few features expected in a replacement for the FT817. If they were serious they would have added a speech processor, an auto ATU and a Lithium Polymer battery for starters. No, this looks a development with very little outlay indeed. Lost come to mind. Sad, pathetic would be truer.
As a real Yaesu man, I could be forgiven for thinking they are in deep trouble. Everything points to a struggling company. I am disturbed enough to think of avoiding them. My bet is on ICOM surviving and Yaesu going to the wall. Hopefully, I am very wrong. Over the next few years we shall find out.

Once the Chinese really get in this market, the Japanese face a real wake-up call and no Japanese company in the amateur market will be safe. The Chinese have started. Give them a few years. Soon, we may look back on these days as the golden age.

1 comment:

KF4DJQ said...

I am not one to respond normally, and I really enjoy nearly all of your posts. In Yaesu's defense I think that they are still in the fallout from the motorola/vertex divorce, which in my opinion was a bad merge to begin with but I understand that at the time it seemed like a good idea (don't they always ?). I have typically bought from Yaesu myself, owning the following FT-847, 991A and the 891, plus other vhf/uhf mobiles and handhelds...

Regards KF4DJQ