9 Mar 2018

2m FT8 RX

This never fails to amaze me. Today again lots of stations spotted with best DX DF5VAE (902km) not far from the Polish border.

The map shows the stations spotted on 2m FT8 in just the last 12 hours. Quite amazing seeing I am just using an FT817 with a big-wheel horizontal omni antenna. The big-wheel is about 4m above ground at the rear of the bungalow. It is just visible above the front door in the picture. It just clears the roof. The V2000 is above the garage. This is fed with cheap CB RG58 coax. The big-wheel had decent coax.

UPDATE 1715z: Now 41 uniques in 8 countries spotted on 2m FT8 today since breakfast. I suspect most of the DX is by aircraft reflection. As experiments earlier in the week showed, using the V2000 vertical gave much the same results, so this is definitely not tropo.

UPDATE 2152z: I am still monitoring 2m FT8 this evening. Even in the last hour, I have spotted 12 unique stations with best DX DL1DBR (546km).

No comments: