23 Mar 2018

2m FT8

Since just before breakfast, I have been on 2m FT8. After a very brief TX period (2.5W to my omni) in which I was copied in Devon, I have been mainly on RX. So far 16 unique stations spotted in 6 countries and it is only 1005z.

UPDATE 1310z:  Currently 32 unique stations in 7 countries spotted today on 2m FT8.

UPDATE 1455z: The score is currently 35 uniques in 7 countries. A few minutes ago I called CQ but got no replies, although I was spotted by 3 Gs (best DX 334km - not bad for 2.5W and an omni!).

UPDATE 1604z: Now 39 uniques in 7 countries. A brief TX period was disappointing with just 2 people spotting me, with the best DX just 80km.

UPDATE 1704z: Now 45 uniques in 7 countries spotted on 2m FT8 RX today.

2 comments:

Ken said...

Hi Roger,
I have been trying FT8 but no-one seems to see my calls. You said you were ‘copied in Devon’ but was this CQ call or did you call someone?
If you called someone, did you have to match the Tx and Rx tone freqs?
I am receiving and decoding loads of FT8 sig’s but no answers to my CQs or my calls to others and no reported Tx spots on PSK reporter either.

73 Ke G4APB

Roger G3XBM said...

Yes, I was calling CQ at 2.5W when copied in Devon. I have worked several stations who answered my CQ call. The auto-sequencing works well and ends transmissions when the QSO is completed. Yes, I set the TX and RX to the same frequency. Not sure if you HAVE to. Best of luck Ken.