21 Feb 2018

More "Grumpy Old Man" - NOT amateur radio

Today, I continued my very unscientific survey of mobile device usage by young people in Cambridge. I did 2 very unscientific surveys about 90 minutes apart counting the usage of mobile devices by unattached young people in Cambridge.

All users, I guess, are under 30 years of age. Firstly, by a considerable number, young users outnumber older users and young, single women outnumber men. In the first survey I counted 13 female users and 11 male. In the second survey I counted 9 female users and 4 male. My conclusion is still that mobile devices are used more by young women (leave me alone) than men, although the ratios are much lower than I'd previously seen. I would guess that mobile devices were used by less than 20% of young people. Although "face to face" talking is down, perhaps I should be charitable as at least some of these people were texting their friends, like.

Now for a moan: seen in the T.K.Maxx window "Always up to 60% less". What the heck does that mean? Nothing! It could mean a 1% reduction compared with the most expensive shop in 2000 or 60% reductions on John Lewis prices today. Basically it is marketing drivel and meaningless.

Moaning over.

No comments: