8 Jan 2018

Heathkit Twoer and Sixer transceivers

If, like me, you are rather old you may remember the Heathkit Twoer, Sixer and similar rigs. These were 5W AM transceivers covering either 10m, 6m or 2m. I think there was also one covering 11m for the early USA CB market.

These were single channel transmitters with a super-regen RX. Although I coveted one, the nearest I got was owning a manual!

In its day, it opened up the VHF bands to the masses, long before SSB and FM. I liked the style then and do so even now. To be honest, today they would struggle, as there is not much AM on VHF and the bandwidth of the RX would be too wide for serious use.

In 1966 it sold for £26 in the UK! On the second-hand market good ones command a good price, no doubt bought by nostalgic old timers!

See https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/vuhf/lunchbox

No comments: