24 Nov 2017

The future of our hobby

As always, Southgate News is providing links to some interesting stuff. One such story was about the future of our hobby. Personally, I have grave doubts about the future, as I have voiced before. One thing is certain: the thing that got us interested in radio is unlikely to be the same today. What "turns on" youngsters today is very, very different.

Some would call me a fireside fusilier in that I am "gunner do this and gunner do that". What is certain is that our hobby has to evolve or die out. The future is in our hands.

See http://southgatearc.org/news/2017/november/millennials-are-killing-ham-radio.htm#.Whgjjbp2vIU

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,

My teachers had no interest in radio. I pursued the hobby in spite of them.
George Dobbs Ladybird book on building a transistor radio did it for me. That and Everyday Electronics and Practical Wireless.

It would help if there were more international radio stations as we enjoyed and less RF noise.

Inspiration needs to come from somewhere. Schools and universities are too busy following dictat and political convictions going back many decades.

Cheers