25 Nov 2017

Commercial optical communications

Many years ago, before my stroke, I did some work at 481THz, red light. I used LEDs as the TX element, but I see that there are some commercial optical links using LASERS. Light has the advantage of being very secure. I expect these commercial units are expensive. My own optical kit was very inexpensive and great fun.

At some point I hope to get back to this work. Amateur optical work is both fun and inexpensive. It is certainly at the frontier of experimentation.

See http://www.lightpointe.com/laser-radios.html .
See https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/optical .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,

I appreciate the great work you have done to advance this aspect of the hobby.

Perhaps we should add some context in respect of security. Communication by light is only as secure as a very narrow beam of microwave energy between two dishes. Our license doesn't permit encryption other than well known codecs, unlike some commercial and military users.

Cheers

Roger G3XBM said...

Thanks for this. I do not know much about commercial optical comms as you can tell!