20 Mar 2017

481THz NLOS (over the horizon)

Before my stroke in 2013 I enjoyed building and operating optical communications gear. My stroke has rather scuppered this, for now! Although I had one over 10km line-of sight speech contact with G4HJW/P, my main interest was weak signal, over the horizon, communication. I did tests at over 8km non line-of-sight using QRSS3. Although there was no evidence of the optical signal in the sky, the QRSS3 signal was clearly decoded on the PC at the receive end. Overall, I was left with the impression that much further would have been possible.

At some point I really want to continue this work. All my optical gear was home-made using material that was low cost and easily obtained. Test gear for optical work was simple and low cost too. In my view, optical work is more rewarding than microwaves and the test gear simpler.

See https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/optical

No comments: