5 Oct 2015

More on Sputnik tests

This email came from Mike Rainey AA1TJ overnight:

"Dear Oleg and All,

I was QRV today in the late afternoon with one GF45011 transistor made by Western Electric in April of 1961. This is the same Germanium transistor type that was used in the original "Vanguard 1" satellite. I was very pleased to have received this as a gift from Jack Ward; curator of the online, "Semiconductor Museum."


My GF45011 oscillator/transmitter produces 10mW on 21.060MHz. While receiving this oscillator becomes my receiver beat-frequency signal source. My Morse code keyer switches the 21MHz oscillator between the antenna and receiver via a miniature DPDT electromechanical relay. The single-balanced direct-conversion mixer, or product-detector, uses a pair of 1N4148 diodes, followed by a two-stage audio amplifier. The antenna is an end-fed 44m wire erected 10m off the ground.

I was QRV too late to hear any DX signals today. I also did not make any QSOs, but I hope to be on-the-air after breakfast tomorrow morning. 

I wish you all the best of luck!

Beep-beep,
Mike, AA1TJ "

No comments: