6 Sept 2015

Big-wheel and 5W in the 2m Trophy Contest

Although my voice was poor I managed about an hour of operating in the 2m RSGB Trophy contest at the tail end of the event today. With the big-wheel on a temporary mast and 5W, I had 10 contacts with best DX being a QSO to near Cherburg (IO99pi) in northern France.  If I'd been able to stay on longer and my voice was not such hard work, I am pretty sure I'd have worked much more. An hour and my voice was screaming "help" and "stop". Life is so much harder now.

I also tried the 2m big-wheel on 70cms. The match is very good but I have no idea what the horizontal gain is on that band. I shall try this in the 70cm UKAC contest this Tuesday at 8pm UK clock time as  long as the pole does not blow down in the mean time!  At least I can get on 70cms "after a fashion". I don't think I shall bother with entering the contest today, but yet again it proves that a 2m big-wheel is well suited to my casual sort of operating.

2 comments:

G1KQH said...

You did all that, stuffed up a Big wheel, had ten contacts, what an improvement is that!! This rate you will be waltzing around the Xmas tree this year after a couple of sherry's!

Well done have a little rest now..

73 Steve

Roger G3XBM said...

Steve thanks. Actually today has been quite a bad day. I have felt giddy and sick most of the day. I really DO want to get better, but improvements following the stroke are only coming slowly these days. I intend to try the 2m big-wheel on 70cm in the UKAC on Tuesday night. Enjoy fitness - mine went very suddenly and these days doing most things exhaust me. Putting up the big-wheel really took it out of me, as did calling stations for a hour!