2 Sept 2015

2m Big Wheel

Steve G1KQH has requested that I blog this to say how it performs.

As my health is still not good I bought mine from Wimo in Germany, but with some aluminium tubing, some insulating material and a little skill, making your own should be straightforward. Being in the EC, imports from Germany already have VAT applied and there was no import duty. However the Wimo big-wheel, although well engineered, was not cheap. As purchased, it comes partly assembled for 2m but the 70cm version is sold ready made. The well packed antenna arrived from Wimo in Germany in about 7 days. There were instructions in German and English.

My 2m version had to have the elements attached. It is very easy to miss the screw holes and not assemble it correctly. There were no instructions for the mounting bracket, but this was straight forward enough. Overall, even with my poor health assembly took about 10 minutes

When first installed on my temporary mast my SWR (as indicated on the FT817) was rather high. Carefully bending the elements and adjusting the orientation of the matching stub brought this way down and I left it with 1-2 blobs showing on the FT817. The gain is claimed as around 3dBD horizontal.

In use it proved great: I worked all the stations I had previously worked on the halo (and others) with better reports in last night's 2m UKAC session. Best DX was 181km. In 52 minutes I worked 10 SSB stations. I was using 5W pep from the FT817. The antenna is fed with a length of RG213 (9mm diameter) coax. Not having to rotate the antenna is a great advantage. I received stations in Belgium and Holland, but did not work these in the short time I was "on air". I am sure that a lot more squares would have been worked had I stayed on for longer.  What was nice was being able to hear the activity all around and not having to turn the antenna at all. Ideally it should be used in conjunction with a beam, but the big-wheel suits my style of casual operating well.

Would I recommend a 2m big-wheel? Yes!

3 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Thanks for the review. Nice results, I consider to buy one myself. Thanks. 73 Paul PC4T

Roger G3XBM said...

Paul, for me and my style of 2m SSB/CW/digital operating it is perfect: no rotators and you get ALL the activity in the full 360 degrees. I liked not having to worry about turning a beam. I now have to buy a small kinked pole and arrange for the antenna to be properly installed.

Todd Dugdale said...

It sounds like decent performance, especially with only 5W. And it's less hassle, so you can spend more time operating and be sure that you're hearing everything.
Judging from the photo, I'm guessing that you have about a 30 foot cable run. On UHF, RG-213 will be a lot lossier with a length like that. But maybe the permanent installation will allow for a shorter run.
It's always nice to hear stories of something working.