22 May 2015

Sunspots and 10m - May 22nd 2015

Sunspot number has dropped to 36 (K=1) and 10m propagation is expected to be "poor". I am not expecting great things on 10m today.

UPDATE 1757z:  Same old culprits on 10m WSPR today!  CT1JTQ (1843km) via Es,  EA8BVP (2986km)  via F2 and G4IKZ (18km) local.  No real DX seen, well not so far. I shall be on the band probably all night, so should catch any late opening to the USA although I am not expecting the band to open, but I am often wrong!

UPDATE 2017z:  Still no stateside DX on 10m this evening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roger I'm Back at the HQTH and observing 6m. This morning there was an ideal candidate for the AS enhancement that you describe for G8EPQ and G3XBM. Between 08.30 and 08.46 UTC I watched an Atlantic Airlines Boeing 737-322 come from Coventry circle behind you and land at Cambridge NE/SW runway. At 08:42 you spotted EPQ with a 5dB enhancement and -2 drift.
At 09:12 there was a similar spot with no culprit visible but then not all aircraft appear on the web, particularly US Mil ones.
Interestingly the plain white Boeing with just 5 portholes had a flight No. which records show didn't leave Coventry and didn't arrive at Cambridge but the aircraft did arrive COV last evening. A Helicopter of the Queens Flight from the south was seen to disappear from radar at Coventry this morning, did you have a Royal reflection I wonder.
Anyway I am happy that there is indeed a flight path used which matches your Doppler observations.
73 Eddie G3ZJO

Unknown said...

Hi Roger,
I had one spot from VK2RR near Waga Waga in NSW on 10M at 07:30 this morning. My 6M has been off for a couple of days as the WSPR client keeps crashing on the XP machine. I have been busy outside, but dedicated a bit of time trying to get WSPR running on my Raspberry Pi 2. It is however an uphill task and have struggled to get the Remote Desktop running on it. I don't normally use the desktop on the Pi, but WSPR needs the GUI. I think my Ultimate 3 WSPR beacon has been running for over a year now without crashing.

Regards

Nick G0OQK