7 May 2015

Shortwave Interval Signals

See https://sites.google.com/site/g3xbmqrp3/hf/interval  .

For a touch of pure nostalgia try the link above. Like many, my first experience with short wave was as an SWL, listening on a simple receiver to some of these broadcasters. Many were trying to indoctrinate me whereas all I was really interested in was a QSL card! I recall some great gifts from China! I heard some impressive DX back in the 1960s.

Of course radio amateur DXing came later and  radio amateurs ran considerably less power. These days I regularly copy stations running less than 5W from the other side of the planet, but I can still recall the thrill of hearing a 5kW broadcaster in the Windward Islands and copying Radio Australia on a crystal set - all the way from Australia too!

2 comments:

Dick said...

Great memories. I was an SWL back in the 1950's. Even mentioned on the Radio Australia Mailbag. I shared a room with my younger brother. Headphones plugged into my S38C receiver while he slept. When Radio Moscow began mailing me their material, I'm sure the mailman reported me to J. Edgar Hoover. Great catch with the SW crystal set. Not often remembered that there were crystal radios that could cover the low SW frequencies. I've seen some beautiful sets I would love to have.

Anonymous said...

Good memories there Roger. I too listened to Radio Australia, wrote to them and my letter was acknowledged over the air, still have the tape recording of it some where and I have the QSL cards still.


73 de Martin, G4FFC.