19 May 2015

630m this evening?

In view of the dire conditions today on 6m and 10m, I am slightly tempted to try my QRP ERP on 472kHz WSPR (630m) this evening and overnight. Noise levels will be higher but it would be interesting to see if anyone copies me or if I copy anyone. I'll decide after tea.

At some point I want to try 136kHz again. I can run my QRP QRSS3 beacon into my earth-electrodes and go looking locally with my mag-mounted E-field probe. At the moment I don't feel fit enough though. From the old QTH I managed 250km on 137.5kHz WSPR. I need to make a better antenna for LF/MF at this QTH. I have space for a long wire with some vertical loading. Maybe in the autumn?

UPDATE 1852z:    Just returned to 472kHz (630m) WSPR using the strapped feeder of my Par 10/20/40m wire antenna tuned against ground with a loading coil. As yet, no reports given or received. Will stay on 630m late tonight and possibly overnight. QRT on 10m and 6m as I need the antenna (for 10m) and the PC and FT817.

UPDATE 1940z:  Still no spots given or received on 472kHz.  Since the winter there are fewer active stations it would appear.

UPDATE 1942z:  With only 10 active 472kHzWSPR stations shown as active in the entire world, I think I shall be pleased to get any spots in the log today.

UPDATE 2015z:  4 spots received from G7NKS (46km) are the only spots so far on 472kHz. Reports are within 1dB, so very consistent, if weak.
472kHz band WSPR spots by G7NKS this evening

No comments: